Are Run Flats Tires Improving?

Reactions
According to a recent study by J.D. Power, customers with run‐flat tires are less satisfied overall and replace tires more frequently in the first two years of ownership than do customers that didn't buy run‐flat tires.

Run-Flats Deflating With Customers

The report says the replacement rate for run‐flat tires is slightly higher in the first year of ownership with 10 percent of run-flat owners reporting a replacement versus seven percent with non-run flat tire owners. The difference becomes larger in the second year of ownership, where 27 percent of run‐flat tire owners replaced at least one tire, compared with 16 percent of non‐run‐flat tire owners.

"It's vital that auto and tire manufacturers address the ride and wear issues, which are still not meeting customer expectations," J.D. Power global automotive director Brent Gruber said. "Customers expect that run‐flat tires won't compromise tread life or the ability to provide a quiet and comfortable ride."

What's All The Complaining About?

It's easy to explain why customers aren't as satisfied. In order for run-flat tires to maintain their shape after a puncture, they need to be stiffer than regular tires. That stiffness in the tires leads to a rougher ride and noisier ride.

Furthermore, these tires are heavier, which can affect their rate of wear and the fuel economy of the vehicle.

In addition to that, the ownership experience of a run-flat isn't as simple as it sounds. Getting a punctured run-flat repaired isn't necessarily an easy process because shops need to be specially equipped to fix them and some aren't. And of course if they can't be patched, it's time to buy new tires.

That brings up another issue: price. On average, run-flats cost about 33 percent more than comparable conventional tires. Keep in mind that they also tend not to last as long.
Original Article: http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2015-us-original-equipment-tire-customer-satisfaction-study

aznxfactor

Reactions
True statement. The run flats put all the pressure and impact on the rim. I've had 3 cracked rims on my e60 550i before I've had enough and swapped to standard tires. No flats since the swap so definitely not going run flats with my RCF. Need a donut tire though....

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk